Super Smoothie Breakfast Bowl
Hey Girlvana girls, I’m Lauren! I'm a very busy and active person but it means I don’t always have a lot of time to make food for myself. I’m sure many of you are a lot like me. I am a strong believer that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day because it gives you the energy you’ll need to start your day off right. This is why smoothie bowls are the perfect breakfast for busy school mornings!
A little bit about Smoothie Bowls:
Smoothie Bowls are great because they are very versatile. You can have them for breakfast, snacks, desserts or really anytime you like. The base of a smoothie bowl is generally fruit and a dairy product. However, the add ins are endless.
- Protein options-greek yogurt, milk, non-dairy milk, coconut water, nut butters, or a sprinkle of nuts on top
- Carbs-a lot of fruits like apples already have carbs in them but before working out it is good to have carbs because your body needs to burn carbs so consider adding oats or a sprinkle of granola on top.
- Go Green-I love adding greens like spinach, kale, avocado, mint, cucumber or any other veggies that you have on hand. Spinach is usually my go to green add in because it is rich in healthy nutrients and doesn’t affect the flavour.
- Sweetness-If you aren’t satisfied with the taste of your smoothie bowl you could add in more fruit (pineapple, banana, mango), maple syrup, agave, honey, dates, jam or any other natural sweetners you have on hand.
- Texture-granola, coconut flakes, cereal, bran or nuts are great ways to give your smoothie a bit of crunch. If you prefer a thicker bowl using yogurt, avocado or mango will thicken it up. Or if you want a more liquidy smoothie you can add in more milk or fruits and vegetables that naturally have more water like cucumber and melons.
PB and J Smoothie Bowl
For this particular smoothie bowl I used:
- 1 handful frozen strawberries (or raspberries whatever you have or prefer)
- 1 tbsp peanut Butter (I use all natural peanut butter, if you’re looking for a certain brand I would highly recommend “Adams crunchy unsalted”.)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 handful spinach
- ¼ cup oats
- 2 scoops greek yogurt
*A couple notes: if you don’t have frozen fruit or you don’t like it, you can always add ice to your smoothie for a fresh taste
For more smoothie bowl inspiration and other recipes for busy girls go to @simplehealthbylk